HOW DO I KNOW IF MY BMW BRAKE PADS ARE WORN OUT?
- Squealing or screeching when braking
- Pulling to one side while braking
- Some vehicles have brake warning lights that will turn on to notify you of a ability issue
- Pulsation or vibrating in the steering wheel or brake pedal
- Burning odor
- Grinding noise when the brakes are applied
- There are additional other warning signs for bad brake pads. You can look your vehicle’s owner’s manual for more details.
What are brake pads and how do they work?
Brake pads consist of friction material that is bonded to a sturdy steel backing plate. When you push on the brake pedal, the friction material on the brake pads is forced against the inner and outer surfaces of the steel brake rotor under tremendous pressure. The resulting friction causes the wheels on your car to slow rapidly allowing for a quick, safe and controlled stop. After thousands of miles, this friction material eventually wears away, and the brake rotor wears away as well, requiring replacement.